If you do not want anything (at least nothing related to your car) to make your holidays bitter, it is essential that you do a set-up before going on a trip. We review the 10 points that you should review:
1. The 10 points you should check: oil level. It is very important to check the quantity and quality of the lubricant after the rigors of winter, because with frost the circuit has contracted several times and when driving in slow traffic the car consumes more oil than normal.
As you can see in the photo, the manufacturers make it easy to indicate with two lines or points the maximum and minimum levels. This measurement must always be done when the engine is cold. Otherwise, it always seems that there is too much oil in the circuit.
2. The 10 points you should check: antifreeze. The level of antifreeze is also important, whether they remain frozen or not to hold the car. It is not necessary to remove the cap, because the expansion vessel has an indicator level that is usually translucent. If you suspect that there may be a leak, it is best to buy a fluorescent yellow liquid. It stands out a lot on the ground if it falls somewhere.
3. The 10 points you should check: windshield wipers. The most important liquid of the contents in the car is the one in the tank of the clean ones. Imagine, suddenly, a truck throws a lot of mud from a puddle on the windshield. During the set-up, pay attention also to the state of the brushes. After the winter frosts it is also essential for the system to work as it should.
4. The 10 points you should check: lights. If a driver has given you long without knowing why, maybe it is because they are poorly regulated. This is a necessary operation from time to time and with the regloscope and a screwdriver you will correct any defect in a few seconds. Do not forget the tuning of the light system. Your safety on the road depends on it.
5. The 10 points you should check: brake fluid. Just step on the brake pedal and see if the level of the expansion vessel drops. This shows that the system maintains its optimum pressure.
6. The 10 points you should check: tires. You should check both your status and the balance. To assess the degree of wear of the tires, they usually have indicators on the tread, if they are flush with the witness it is time to change them, as if this is less than 3 mm (you can use a euro coin, if you see the silver part, you have to put some new ones).
You should also check that the tires do not have cuts, dents, perforations, or irregular wear. If the four ‘tires’ are not properly balanced, you will notice noises, boats and that the steering wheel vibrates at medium-high speed.
Remember, finally, confirm that the pressure is appropriate to what the manufacturer makes. In the B-pillar of the car – along with the driver’s seat – the ideal pressures are usually indicated according to the vehicle’s load. This operation is also done cold.
6. The 10 points you should check: battery. If you see liquid coming out of the battery, you should change it and check the alternator. In addition, you have to try to keep the terminals clean and discard the battery if any presents a strange appearance (rusty, rough …).
7. The 10 points you should review: suspension, ignition and injection. The squeaks, noises and the creaking of the pieces, as well as the rolling of the body in the corners (when we say it looks like a boat), are symptoms of the bad state of the suspension. If the car takes time to start, the problem may be in the ignition or injection.
8. The 10 points you should check: sleeves and clamps. If they have cracks or serve as an outlet for liquids it is time to change them.
9. The 10 points you should check: spark plugs, cables and filters. The manufacturer indicates the terms of revision of the cables and filters. Regarding the spark plugs, keep in mind that if they are dirty they can cause starting problems and increase fuel consumption.
10. Auxiliary elements. Check that you have everything required and that it is in good condition: answer wheel (look at the pressure and the drawing in the same way you have done in the other four), reflective vest, cat, key and emergency triangles.